Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Making happy family MEMORIES

Now before I get started on this I want everyone who reads this to understand that I am frustrated with many aspects of life in general. I have also not discussed this with my husband, so my idea in theory may sound fine but in actuality it may be a stinker . So keep that in mind while you read further.

I have felt for many years that my family especially, has spent too much time and energy focusing on the wrong things from the holidays. I have found that even though we have scaled back ALOT on our children's Christmas and we don't exchange gifts as a couple that we are still missing the important picture that comes from this up coming season of giving and love, and sacrifices from our Heavenly Father and Jesus.
So my idea is that we don't exchange gifts with each other on Christmas day. We do a FAMILY activity on that day. Just my family doing something we don't normally do through out the year. Something special to get back to basics. It will cost less then going out and buying gifts that will be broken or tossed in a corner or worn out in a few hours,days, weeks, or even months.
I want to give my children the gift of MEMORIES for Christmas this year and every year to come. I want to give my children the gift of FAMILY. I want to give my children something that I honestly don't think they have had before.
* I know that my children have many memories some of them are good. But most of them are of Jason and I making these great plans that never seem to come true. I have disappointed my children far too much over the course of there lives.And now I have come to ANOTHER cross road in my families life and I really have to re-evaluate what I want my children to take away from there childhood. Which the time for there childhood is rapidly running out on us and there's not a thing I can do about it.
I also want to teach my children about giving. I want to do something that requires them to give of themselves to some who is in need. I want them to understand that we don't NEED anything on Christmas but each other. I want them to get that happy feeling when you take someone food who may not have it for Thanksgiving. I want them to understand that money will come and go and that time will pass you and soon you will be an adult and the choices you make in childhood shape who you are as in adult.
I lived in the illusion that "Julie land " was real. That everything Julie wanted was waiting for me there. Also that all I had to do was wait till adulthood. In my adulthood "Julie land became more and more far fetched. I realized that it only existed in my mind from childhood.I have a chance now to make a real " Family Land" Its a chance to make a difference for my children. For myself. I want my children to have everything they need "spiritually, physically, mentally and family"

I don't know if any of this makes since to anyone who's reading it. But I am tired of keeping up with all the trends, telling my children "no you have to wait for Christmas" and then not being able to deliver everything there heart desires. I am tired of trying to budget Christmas in.
And I have come to the point where I just want to say "BAH HUM BUG" I don't want to pass that anger onto my children . I want to pass on something different.Something worth more then money. My time, my love, happy ,fun, memories.
For my sanity, for my children's well being I will not be sending out ANY Christmas gifts this year. I expect those of you who were thinking of sending or giving us something to take that money,or what ever and give a gift to someone in your ward who has the need. Or take that money and do something with your family and make memories of your own.
We have such a short time with our children and I have waisted enough time on monetary gifts. I want to waste what time I have left with them by giving them MEMORIES ;that's priceless.
So please no gifts to us this year . We will share some of our memories in a New Years letter, and your gift to us could be to read it and be happy for the memories we are making as a FAMILY.
I am serious about this. I will find a way to bring Jason over to my side if its that last thing I do.
I love each and everyone of in my own way. I want you to know also that if we can make family memories with you that those will also be PRICELESS as well and we look forward to them. So please have a VERY Memorable HOLIDAY SEASON.
Love you all
Julie

No comments: